|What Will People Say?|
|Season 1, Episode 8|
|Air date||November 11, 1996|
|Written by||Brenda Hampton|
|Directed by||Duwayne Dunham|
See no Evil, Hear no Evil, Speak no Evil
When Eric is seen taking a woman named Abby into the Glenoak Lodge, rumors swarm of Eric having an affair when the truth is that Eric is trying to help Abby who has been abused and threatened by her husband. Matt tries to keep things moving slowly between Mary and her boyfriend. Meanwhile, Simon faces a bully at school and refuses to go to school.
- Stephen Collins' wife, Faye Grant, guest stars in this episode.
- Danielle Wiener was nominated for a Young Artist Award for her performance as "Gabrielle" in this episode. She is listed as a co-star.
- In the episodes, "The Color of God" and "What Will People Say?" helped "7th Heaven" win the Entertainment Industries Council "Prism Award" for addressing the issues of drugs and violence.
- When Simon went into the kitchen and asked Mary if pickles and chocolate milk will make him sick, he left the refrigerator door open. In the next shot Mary and Richard are in the kitchen the door was closed. You never saw anyone shut the door.
- Annie: Men who abuse women are such ... cowards!
- Jake: (about Abby) You can't keep me away from her. I'll follow her to New York, you know.
- Eric: I really wish you would, because I have a friend who's a judge there, and a couple other friends who work outside the system. You know the kind I mean? Bad people who've turned good but occasionally slip up? I'm sure they'll be glad to show you around New York.
- Jake [about Abby]: She'll never press charges against me. Never.
- Eric: Where the hell have you been, Jake? This is 1996! Your wife doesn't have to press charges, she has two broken ribs. That's enough for the police; they'll press the charges.
- Simon: Dad, that lady's husband hits her?
- Eric: Yeah. I'm afraid so, Simon. But I don't think he'll ever hit her again.
- Mary: (to Eric) You know, you're really getting good at sneaking around, aren't you?
- Jake [about Abby]: She's my wife! She'll do whatever I tell her to do.
- Eric: Not anymore, she won't.